Venice & Veneto
| ||bestel |
Footprint Italia Venice & Veneto - A city of romance and riches defined by its past, Venice floats in a world of its own. This myth-making maritime former republic was where east met west, and power and affluence fuelled unsurpassed creativity. Only great ingenuity can stop its transcendent testimonies to imagination crumbling into the sea. Beyond the marshlands of the lagoon lies the prosperous region of the Veneto, boasting the villa-lined Brenta canal, fortified towns, undulating vineyards and the snow-capped peaks of the Dolomites. It has truly great cities too: Padva, with its awe-inspiring frescos and illustrious university; the architechtural splendour of Vinenza, a showcase for Palladio's genius; and Roman-built Verona, a city infused by the legacies of dynastic rule and love.
* What the locals say: Suggestions from local people on where to go and what to do
* A year in the region: Month-by-month guide to pros and cons of visiting at certain times of year
* Great days out: A series of great driving routes and city walks
* Favourite things: The author's personal recommendations of a place or an activity
* Pick of the picnic spots: Where to picnic and the best places to buy your goodies
* Including a stand alone Popout Map!